Sunday, July 27, 2008

Pray for Luke

I have an immediate prayer request for anyone that may come upon this post for one of my best friends (a sorority sister), Katie's nephew, Luke (age 7). He was transported to Johns Hopkins yesterday after his dad was insightful enough to notice some changes in his movements and they discovered he had a brain tumor at a local hospital and then sent him to JH. In Katie's words:

"Throughout the course of the day, a team of neurologist ran tests. The prognosis is that Luke's tumor is malignant and inoperable. The best case scenario is that chemo and radiation will get it, but he will most likely never regain full motor function. However, the team of doctors believe that this is unlikely and that he will not survive the tumor. My family is devastated, but we remain hopeful. Dr. Carson was NOT with this team of doctors today. He will evaluate Luke in the morning. God can and has performed miracles through this gifted doctor and we pray that he will find a way to work one on Luke. (We have a family friend whose son had a brain tumor much like Luke's as a child. His prognosis was the same and the family was told there was no hope. Dr. Carson operated, and now he walks, talks, and is married with children.) I don't believe this is false hope or silly to have the faith that God can do the same through him for Luke."

This all makes me so sick to my stomach- of course because I hate to see what this wonderful family is going through, but it seems like I hear about things like this happening daily...and not to strangers but to families I know. This doesn't, by any means, make it more important because I know them- it just makes it all seem way too common and real for me to hear stories about these children being so healthy and fine one day and not the next. We spent an unexpected night in Children's ER on Friday night (with Hill) and he is fine, we have been counting our blessings for that all weekend...but the pain for this family, and all the others going through similar battles is heavy on my heart. I felt that most dreaded fear for just a few hours that something was wrong with Hill, but he is okay. These families fears, unfortunately, were confirmed. I pray for God to give them strength, understanding beyond what they thought they could endure, and to hold these children in the palm of His hand.

I find it really cool that the meaning of Luke is "the beloved physician".
I love you Katie!!
** Just had a thought- if you read this and are praying for sweet Luke (no matter who or where you are), please leave a comment so that Katie can see how many people are lifting him up in the days ahead!!

5 comments:

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

I am just crying because it seems like every day I have another little one to pray for....another little one with cancer. I will be praying for Luke, and if you get any links to a caringbridge or other blog site, let us know!

Val said...

I know Megan...I am counting my blessings daily but I am SO ready to start hearing some stories of recovery and God's miracles for these families.

Anonymous said...

I am praying... keep me posted
Megan T.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing that breaks my heart more than hearing about a little child of God going through something like this. Katie I am praying and believing that everything will turn out the way God wants it too. Be Blessed

laurenbusbee said...

We are praying for sweet Luke! Praying for peace and comfort for him, his parents and his family. Also praying/believing for a miracle in his life. We serve an awesome God. With God all things are possible (Matt 19:26)!