Thursday, September 18, 2008

Father, he is your child

Rett was baptized last Sunday, September 14. At Briarwood, they have a wonderful tradition that the father bestow a blessing upon the child in front of the congregation. This was Scott's blessing for Rett:

"Everett Scott Hughen, I thank God this morning for you, for His everlasting love, and for all of the wonderful blessings He has bestowed upon our family. You belong to God, and through today's baptism, he places the sign of the new covenenant upon you. I pray first and foremost that you find a personal relationship with the Lord early and that you never remember a time when He is not Lord of your life. I pray that our family will use His word to create a nourishing and spiritual environment where we all can grow in our faith. And Rett, I also pray for God to energize me as spiritual head of our household, to set a Godly example in all that I do, to keep our family praying together, worshiping together, and ministering the word of God. I Peter 3:21 says "Baptism now saves you- not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience- through the Resurrection of Jesus Christ."
Rett, I pray that you will always turn to God in all that you do, that you recognize and repent for your sins and that through your faith and the grace of God, you receive the gift of eternal life for the glory of God."


This was such a special moment for our family, as it was the day we baptized Hill...little did I know, though, how those words spoken by my sweet husband would ring in my ears on Tuesday night as we drove our motionless baby to the hospital.

For those of you that haven't heard, after a long night at Children's Hospital and a LONG two days, Rett was diagnosed with intussusception (when we were driving him to the hospital we called an ambulance to meet us b/c he became almost lifeless). I can distinctly remember having a conversation in my mind with God saying "I know he is yours, we acknowledged that in front of the church, Lord- but PLEASE let us have more time with him." I knew in my heart that he has a Father that loves him more than I do and can do WAY more than I can for him at a moment like that, or any moment in his life. Having said that, I was still scared to death b/c I physically couldn't do anything to help him. That's where I now thank God for my wonderful husband who found the patience and understanding at the moment we were waiting on the ambulance to quote scripture to me about fear...this is his child, too- he also felt helpless and scared...but he was comforting me!?!?


(Rett with Pastor Harry Reeder)

Thank you Lord for time with your child, Rett, for his health, and for my wonderful, Godly husband.

**Hill 3rd Birthday Post coming next- lots of cute pictures of my big boy**

4 comments:

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

Oh My Goodness, my heart just stopped for a minute! Is he OK!?.... I know that that is a horrible, horrible thing. Oh, sweet boy!

Call me if you need anything, and that was such a beautiful prayer!!!

jessica said...

Val! I am so sorry y'all had to go through that! I wish i could give you a big hug! Let me know if there is anything i can do!
Love ya!

The Dettling's said...

Valerie,
I can't imagine how you must have felt that night and that we had just met you and sweet Rett that morning. I would have been so panicked! Your husband's prayer is beautiful, and I'm so thankful that your sweet boy is okay. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. It's never too early to be a "neighbor!"
Tally
(James' mommy & new RB neighbor)

Amy said...

Oh my gosh. I am just now catching up on everyone's blog. What a nightmare. I hope everyone is ok now.